Advertisement

Opposition leaders call for return of Kenyan police officers from Haiti

04:21 PM
Opposition leaders call for return of Kenyan police officers from Haiti
Kenya police officers arrive in Haiti on Sunday January 19, 2025. PHOTO/@NPSOfficial_KE/X

Opposition leaders Kalonzo Musyoka and Eugene Wamalwa have called for the return of Kenyan police officers from Haiti.

Speaking during the burial ceremony of the late senior Principal Robert Onwong’a in Kitutu Masaba, Nyamira County on Monday, March 31, 2025, Kalonzo indicated that the mission in Haiti was untenable since much of the funding promised by the United States had been halted.

“It is not right that our children are being killed in Haiti and their bodies are carted away. We are saying in one accord that we want our boys back,” Kalonzo said.

“Without the support of the United Nations Security Council, this mission in Haiti is untenable.”

The Wiper Party leader’s sentiments were echoed by Democratic Action Party leader Eugene Wamalwa, who said that the mission was ill-conceived and that the Kenyan officers should be immediately brought back to the country to avoid further casualties.

Kule Haiti kuna vijana walipelekwa na Mheshimiwa Ruto mwaka jana. Juzi kuna mmoja tumemzika kule Kajiado, na hivi leo, kuna kijana mmoja kutoka Mlima Kenya ameuawa na magaidi kule Haiti. Mwili wake ilichukuliwa na magaidi. Kwa sasa, wazazi wanalia kupewa mwili waweze kuzika mtoto wao ambaye ni kijana mdogo sana,” Wamalwa stated.

Loosely translated to: “President William Ruto deployed police officers to Haiti in 2024, and, some time back, we laid to rest an officer who was killed in Haiti at his home in Kajiado. Today, we have information that another police officer from Mt Kenya region was killed and his body taken away by the gangs. The parents are now calling on the government to bring back the body so that the family can find closure.”

Interior Principal Secretary (PS) Raymond Omollo sees off the third batch of Kenyan police officers being deployed to Haiti on January 17, 2025.
Interior Principal Secretary (PS) Raymond Omollo sees off the third batch of Kenyan police officers being deployed to Haiti on January 17, 2025. PHOTO/@ray_omollo/x

Want officers back

“We want our police officers who were taken to Haiti to come back immediately. This ill-conceived, ill-intended and ill-deployed mission has to come to an end.”

Benedict Kaburu, the second police officer killed in Haiti, was shot dead by suspected gang members who ambushed a Haitian Police vehicle which got stuck in a ditch, which was dug by the gangsters.

Kenyan police use a drone during a mission in Haiti. PHOTO/@NPSOfficial_KE/X
Kenyan police use a drone during a mission in Haiti. PHOTO/@NPSOfficial_KE/X

However, the Kenyan police officer was shot dead when gang members attacked officers attempting to rescue the police vehicle. His body is yet to be found after the gang members reportedly took off with it.

“This valiant policeman, committed to the side of the Haitian forces to fight against insecurity, has made the ultimate sacrifice for a better future,” a statement from Haiti’s Presidential Transition Council read.

Author

Arnold Ngure

General reporter with a bias for crime reporting, human interest stories and tech.

View all posts by Arnold Ngure

Just In

Advertisements