Tottenham confirm Vicario’s move to Juventus

By , August 18, 2026

Tottenham Hotspur has confirmed the departure of goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario to Italian Serie A side Juventus on loan for the 2026/27 season.

According to Spurs’ statement on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, the deal also includes an option to make the move to the Serie A side permanent next summer.

Signed from Empoli in June 2023, the Italy international has made 117 appearances in Spurs’ colours to date, keeping 29 clean sheets.

A key part of our Europa League success in 2024/25, Guglielmo started nine of Tottenham’s 15 matches on the road to European glory, making a crucial save late on to see the side to victory in the Bilbao final.

Hailing from Udine, Guglielmo earned his first senior call-up for the Azzurri in March, 2024, and has five caps to his name to date.

Romero joins Atletico Madrid

Vicario’s move to Italy comes shortly after the departure of Argentine centre-back Christian Romero to La Liga side Atletico Madrid.

Immediate former Tottenham defender Christian Romero. PHOTO/https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com
Immediate former Tottenham defender Christian Romero. PHOTO/https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com

In a club statement on Saturday, August 15, 2026, Spurs said: “We have reached agreement with Atletico Madrid for the transfer of Cristian Romero.”

The Argentine defender was signed from Atalanta in 2021. He was a key player in Tottenham’s UEFA Europa League triumph of 2024/25 and was named captain for the 2025/26 campaign. His 32 appearances in all competitions last season took his tally to 156 in Spurs’ colours.

A Copa America winner just before his arrival, Cuti became only the second Spurs player to win the World Cup when Argentina beat France in Qatar in 2022. He won the Copa America again in 2024 and reached a second World Cup Final this summer.

Transfer business

Earlier, Tottenham Hotspur head coach Roberto De Zerbi said he was encouraged by the club’s progress during the summer transfer window and believes the foundations are being laid for a successful new era ahead of the 2026/27 campaign.

Tottenham head coach Roberto De Zerbi. PHOTO/https://www.facebook.com/TottenhamHotspur/photos
Tottenham head coach Roberto De Zerbi. PHOTO/https://www.facebook.com/TottenhamHotspur/photos

After guiding Spurs to Premier League safety following his arrival late last season, the Italian is now overseeing his first full pre-season at Hotspur Way and is pleased with the direction the club is taking.

Speaking to SPURSPLAY, De Zerbi praised the work done so far in strengthening the squad, while revealing that Tottenham’s transfer business is not yet complete.

“I think we are building a very good team, with some very important new players, and we starting the project in another part of the history of the club.”

The Italian explained that he had spent considerable time studying Tottenham before accepting the job in April and was convinced by the club’s long-term vision.

“I spent a lot of time (understanding the club) before joining in April and I knew very well the ideas of the owner of the club and the plan was clear before the Everton game.” He said.

More Articles